“…the speed with which Diligent transformed the crippled legacy CDSAR system and successfully brought CDSAR 2.0 on-line has gotten the attention of AF leadership, all the way to the Pentagon! Thanks for a job well done!”
Diligent’s Evolution Solution℠ is a full service solution framework that helps you achieve compliance, high performance and cost savings
Whether plans exist to sunset, subsume in an ERP, revitalize a single or family of legacy applications, Evolution Solution℠ is the fastest, most cost effective methodology to develop a fact-based strategic roadmap. Diligent applies the right mix of People, Practices and Tools to ensure your solution meets your mission’s needs.
- Robust skills in requirements clarification and systems development methodologies
- Proven Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) expertise
- Award Winning user experience design and software development successes
- Unique Application Assessment, Modernization and Transformation expertise
- Application Migration in both DoD and Commercial cloud environments
LEGACY APPLICATION SOLUTIONS
Software analysis, documentation, migration, upgrades or replacements are daunting, risky and expensive endeavors because they are primarily manual and time-consuming. The Evolution Solution℠ automates up to 90% of the system analysis, thus reducing the time and cost by 40-60%.
- Assesses and documents the existing legacy applications
- Ensures compliance with the framework of the DODAF/ToGAF documentation requirements
- Identifies the languages and code contained in the system
- Develops foundational information for application rationalization, portfolio management
Provides enterprise lifecycle management to revitalize the existing application.
- Revitalizes the existing application repairing inactive and disjointed code
- Reinserts the application into the existing infrastructure
- Provides a faster, more effective application with reduced maintenance costs
Provides enterprise lifecycle management to transform the existing application.
- Transforms the existing application
- Updates business rules into a cloud-based infrastructure
- Integrates the required systems to ensure seamless application processing
- This transformative step takes maximum advantage of technology and maintenance cost reductions, with increased agility and flexibility.
Course Development, Student Administration Registrar System (CDSAR)
The Course Development, Student Administration Registrar System (CDSAR), is responsible for managing student enrollment, progression, curriculum development, and inventory of courses for USAF personnel. This system was installed on an old HP-UX operating system that was no longer being supported. Additionally the COBOL and Pro*C programs were coded in such a way that operating system upgrades could not be done without breaking parts of CDSAR.
The agency selected Diligent Consulting to repair and retrofit the existing batch processes to remove their dependence on the legacy hardware and bring the codebase into a maintainable modern language and framework (Java/Struts). Because the system and its associated workflows were integral to how the agency operated, all business processes coded in CDSAR needed to be exactly mimicked in the revitalized code base.
The project included the following deliverables:
- Business Rules extracted from 220,000 lines of COBOL/Pro*C/PL/SQL code.
- Revitalized Java/Hibernate web application with enhanced process interfaces deployed on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux server.
- Business Rules in Java need to follow exact processes as the legacy system to ensure workflows remain the same.
- All interfaces both internal and external to the system need to function properly after revitalization.
The project was executed in 10 calendar months. During this period an average of 8 personnel were used to document, modernize, convert, test and deploy the new system.
Electronic Board Operations Support System (EBOSS)
Since its inception as the Army Air Corps, the United States Air Force has required dozens of officers and NCOs to physically review paper personnel records for thousands of promotion candidates in order to grade and rank order the candidates for promotion consideration…every year. The Air Force wanted to transform its paper-based promotion board process to provide Total Force board members the ability to view and score electronic Selection Records in an intuitive manner by utilizing touch screen technologies.
The Air Force Personnel Center hired Diligent to develop an application able to provide electronic records and scoring by the Selection Officials for the thousands of members considered annually for promotion. With a focus on exceeding expectations, Diligent ensured the processes were specified, code developed and tested, integrated with existing systems and fully documented. The Air Force saves $2.6 M per year with eBOSS.
The electronic Board Operations Support System, or eBOSS, allows board members to use ergonomic, touch-screen workstations with user interfaces similar to a smart phone or tablet computer to view and score digital personnel records. The stations are also height adjustable to allow board members to sit or stand while scoring records.
Legacy Pay Applications Studies
While the Air Force implements the Air Force Integrated Personnel and Pay System (AFIPPS) program using the Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS), they needed to determine how to integrate the functionality of many legacy pay and personnel systems into the Oracle functions of AFIPPS.
Diligent Consulting Inc. was selected to review the legacy systems code, interfaces, functionality, and structures to recommend which of the legacy systems would fit into the Oracle functionality directly and the path to migration and transition to the new system for the remaining legacy systems. Diligent applied its extensive expertise and tools for legacy analysis and provided concise and actionable recommendations for the legacy system integration.
The project delivered detailed analysis of each of the systems broken down into several areas.
- Human System Analysis provided a user-centric analysis of the functionality and interface operation of the systems and how the new system could provide similar and improved user interfaces.
- Software Analysis provided details of the legacy system code, dead code, unused interfaces, and cybersecurity vulnerabilities
- Oracle EBS Analysis provided a review of how the new system would work “out of the box” and what system interface updates would be required to meet the operational needs of the users of the legacy systems
The project was executed in 7 calendar months. During this period an average of 8 personnel were used to analyze, coordinate, and document the specific requirements and recommendations for the legacy transformation into the AFIPPS system.
Senior leaders at all levels were impressed with the system's performance. Additionally, eBOSS was even more efficient for staff members than we originally thought, as a single technician could complete work that was previously very manpower intensive